Fundamentals for Professionals in Doctoral Education
On 3 and 4 April the first PRIDE training welcomed 29 professionals in doctoral education at the University of Vienna. The two-day course was for people who are relatively new to the area of doctoral education and covered topics from major global reform trends and different national practices, to the spectrum of support structures in place in various universities.
This first two-day training was a joint undertaking of the PRIDE board. The programme comprised a mixture of presentations, case studies, interactive activities and discussions. Thus, it also provided an excellent opportunity to learn in a small peer group together with experts who have accumulated specialist knowledge and can add additional perspectives.
The following topics were addressed:
- Policy Trends in Doctoral Education
- The role of professionals in higher education institutions
- Academic leadership’s possible expectations towards professionals
- Setting up and improving services in the field of doctoral education
- Definition of a professional and reflection on it