- Insufficient number of doctoral students,
- insufficient funding of research,
- inadequate infrastructure (laboratories, libraries, centers) and poor working conditions
- insufficient number of highly qualified supervisors,
- lack of recognition of doctorates outside the university,
- insufficient connections to industry,
To address the above-mentioned challenges, the MARDS projects have defined the following objectives:
- to reconsider the existing national policies/standards for doctoral studies in two countries and their compatibility with good EU practices,
- to develop and propose a new model of doctoral studies in two countries, adapted to the acquired experiences over past decades and current and future countries’ needs
- to propose a sustainable method of financing doctoral studies in two countries on national levels.
- to establish two sustainable doctoral schools in selected fields (one in Montenegro and one in Albania) as recommendable examples for Western Balkan
- to establish a sustainable cooperation with EU partners and established Doctoral Schools in order to maintain developed education and research standards.